***Please read this full page to ensure understanding of adoption processes!***
Q: What are our basic adoption requirements?
- Must be 21 or older to adopt, or have a guardian present. Proof is required.
- Current dogs must be up to date on shots, heart worm prevention, and must be spayed or neutered. Vet proof is required.
- A fully, secured fenced yard is a requirement. (Apartments okay on certain dogs)
- Pictures of your house and yard may be asked to be submitted.
Q: What are our adoption fees?
- Puppies 6 months and younger are $300
- Dogs over 6 months are $250
Q: What does the adoption fee cover?
- Initial Exam
- Age Appropriate Shots – DANTE’S HOPE allows for up to 3 sets of vaccines for puppies under our care as they become age appropriate. We provide annual shots for all other dogs over the appropriate age limit. Rabies shots are included and will be given as age appropriate for puppies and with annual vaccines for adults.
- All dogs over the age of 6 months are tested for heartworms and you will be informed of heartworm status
- All dogs are microchipped
- All dogs are spayed or neutered as age appropriate
- Additionally there may be some procedures performed outside of those outlined which are deemed necessary for the health of the dog at that time. If there is an existing condition for the animal that DANTE’S HOPE is aware of, you will be informed. Please remember that these are rescue dogs and we do not know their full history. It is possible that your dog may have a health related problem that has not been diagnosed.
Q: Where is our rescue located?
- Our rescue is completely foster based. All foster dogs are kept in fosters home to get them ready to be adopted! There is no location or facility. Our fosters are mostly in Baton Rouge, Ponchatoula and surrounding areas.
Q: How fast will I hear back from Dante’s Hope after submitting an application?
- Processing applications takes time!
- We do vet checks and home checks, whether that be in person or on Google
- We try to respond to all applications within 24 hours of being submitted. We suggest if you do not hear a response within this time frame to email us!
Q: Does Dante’s Hope allow adoptions to families with children ages 5 and under?
- We have the right to deny any application, but with children this young, we will tend to be more picky.
- It will definitely depend on the dog and if we feel it will be fit with the family.
- Most young kids do not understand how to appropriately handle a dog.
Q: Do we allow out of state adoptions?
- Fully vetted dogs have been adopted out of state.
- We require pictures of your yard and home
- The adopter must come to Louisiana to adopt